FACT OR MYTH
There are many myths about breasts and bras. Let us talk about some of them and bust those myths.
Here is what you should know about all of these myths and facts.
1. It is normal for one breast to be bigger than the other.
• Yes, it is normal for one breast to be bigger than the other. Breasts can develop at different rates, so it is normal for one to be greater than the other. These differences tend to even out, but many women have breasts of distinctive sizes, so there is nothing to be concerned about.
2. Wearing a bra that is too small can keep your breasts from growing.
• Bra does not control the growth of breasts, but genes and hormones do. The bra is only to support your breasts, so wearing the right size will provide comfort and support whereas wearing a tight/ smaller size bra will make your breasts sore resulting in some pain in your breasts and some cases can lead to health issues. It is also advised to remove the bra while sleeping.
3. Breast pain or soreness could be a sign of a medical problem.
• Breast pain or soreness is not necessarily a sign of a medical problem. It is common to feel slight pain or soreness in your breasts, particularly when they are beginning to develop or while menstruating. Breast soreness is sometimes considered part of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) caused due to changes in hormone levels. PMS also can include cramps, headaches, and mood swings. The soreness and the other effects of PMS should go away as your period starts. But breast swelling and tenderness can happen for many reasons, including pregnancy. It is important to know what is normal for you and when to talk to a doctor if you are experiencing anything unusual.
4. All types of brassieres fit the same once you know your size.
• Different styles of bras offer different fittings. There are numerous styles of bras like a minimiser, T-shirt, demicup, balconette, strapless, etc. Every style is unique in itself and size may vary from style to style. Hence, it is important to check the size chart whenever you shop for different styles of bras.
FACT OR MYTH